A light hearted look at the year ahead
5th January 2015
All shall be well and all manner of things shall be well (Julian of Norwich c. 14th c)
Now safely back in the office, family dispersed around the world once again, it is time to look at the year ahead. Looking at the Sunday papers it’s going to be an awful year?
So, giving a hostage to fortune, 10 predictions for the year ahead:
- There will be at least 1 general election this year. However, I think it will be more fun predicting what will happen to the politicians we all know and love, Prime Minister? Your guess is as good as mine but the deputy PM is a contest between Alex Salmond and Nigel Farage. Nick Clegg will end up as a trainee barista in a coffee shop.
- The EU will remain in its usual mess, there will be a lot of talk (no change there then!) and nothing will change. Greece will teeter on a number of edges again and the Euro will wobble but by some miracle (or PR spin?).remain
- Climate change will shift up a gear or still does not exist, depending who you talk to. Again there will be a lot of talk and we all go on our merry ways so no change there (again!).
- There will be ‘weather events’ that will come as a surprise to train operating companies (TOCs) despite everybody else expecting them. Network Rail will pay the TOCs compensation and as usual most of us will not claim and the TOCs will pocket a tidy profit.
- Markets will crash, our investments and pensions will fall in value, the Pound will fall but everyone will be happy, inflation will be low, holidays to Europe will become cheaper (they are in a worse mess then we are), petrol will be cheap and that will do more for economic growth the all Government initiatives
- Income tax receipts will continue to disappoint, well there are no big bonuses to tax!
- We will all have high expectations of our sporting teams and will be disappointed, after all it is Australia in the cricket.
- It is all dark and dismal at the moment, however spring will come, the flowers will bloom and the birds will sing. It will be all sunshine and clover, everything will be fine, none of these predictions will come true and life will be worth living again.
- Numeracy will not improve in the next 12 months.
All here at QLP Legal would like to wish all of you a very happy and prosperous new year.